Monday, October 6, 2014

"...who has not made me a woman."

Months ago I stopped saying the morning blessing in which we praise God, "who has not made me a woman." I've seen more than a few of the o'dox apologetics for this, some of them by o'dox women, and they just don't wash. They all seem to be a variant on theme of "Since men are spiritually weaker than women, God gave us lots of particular mitzvot & that is what we are thanking Him for." Even if one accepts this idea (I don't, not any more), it still doesn't sound right ("...who has not made me a woman"). In fact, it sounds rather horrible. Our Sages could have & should have found a better way to express the idea. So I've been saying what women say & thus praise God, "for making me according to His will." Works for me.

By the way, the ISs reject the o'dox Jewish idea of women being exempt from time-bound positive mitzvot (scroll down to the bottom of the first section). Where is that written? (as my IS friend would say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment